ACT on Alzheimer's
ACT on Alzheimer's
In 2014, Region Nine Development Commission, in collaboration with local partners, formed the Mankato/North Mankato ACT on Alzheimer's team. It is estimated over 1,000 people in Mankato and North Mankato are living with Alzheimer’s or other related dementias. The Mankato/North Mankato ACT on Alzheimer’s Team works to create a community that is informed, safe and respectful of individuals with dementia. The team, made up of volutneers representing various sectors, has examined Mankato/North Mankato's dementia readiness and is helping to ceate and implement dementia-friendly strategies in the community.
The Mankato/North Mankato ACT on Alzheimer’s team's initiative was funded by the Metropolitan Area Agency on Aging, the responsible fiscal party for the ACT on Alzheimer’s initiatives. Region Nine received the maximum award of $18,000 to support the community’s efforts in becoming dementia-friendly. The grant covered the cost of implementing Phases 1-4 of the ACT on Alzheimer’s Dementia-Capable Communities Toolkit. The four phases that guide communities in adopting dementia-friendly practices across the community are: 1. Convene, 2. Assess, 3. Analyze, and 4. ACT Together.
The Mankato/North Mankato team convened in August 2014 and assessed and analyzed the community from October 2014‐February 2015. Actions were set based on identified priorities. The following actions started in May 2015 and were completed by December 2015.
- Created a resource guide that specifically identifies local and statewide Alzheimer’s and dementia-related resources
- Trained volunteer presenters on two Alzheimer’s Association presentations: The Basics: Memory Loss, Dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease and Know the 10 Signs
- Hosted the Alzheimer’s Association Get the Facts education series
- Created and hosted a Community Conversations series
- Implemented an awareness media campaign
At the time of this project, Minnesota was the only state in the nation seeking to make communities dementia-friendly. Since then, a national initiative has been started, built upon the 34 dementia-friendly communities in Minnesota. Region Nine is currently the only regional development organization in the nation to work on a program of this type. In doing so, Region Nine has been able to increase cross-sector engagement while forming new partnerships and raising awareness within the region.
The Mankato/North Mankato ACT on Alzheimer’s team reconvened in January 2016 without funding, as the team decided there was an ongoing need in the community for this initiative. As of March 2016, the team has identified the following goals and actionable items:
- Maintenance and distribution of Alzheimer’s & Dementia Resource Guide
- Support faith communities with dementia friendly training and resources
- Offer community and professional education including: The Basics: Memory Loss, Dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease, Know the 10 Signs and Dementia Friendly @ Work
- Present the Alzheimer’s Association First Responder training
If you are interested in joining the Mankato/North Mankato ACT on Alzheimer's team, contact:
Danielle Walchuk, Regional Development Planner
firstname.lastname@example.org | (507) 389-8863