PROGRAM DESCRIPTION: The purpose of the Welcoming Communities Project is to provide a platform for equity and inclusion learning through hands-on activities with stakeholders, subject matter experts, and community members. The monthly cohort will provide a framework for communities to build relationships, learn inclusive community practices, tools, and skills based on outcomes gathered through a community-wide assessment. Sessions will be facilitated in partnership with the Greater Mankato Diversity Council, the U of MN Extension Center for Community Vitality, and the Region Nine Development Commission. Potential themes include:
- Leadership for Equity and Inclusion
- Understanding Bias, Race, and Cultural Competency
- Small Town Economics
- Engaging the Community
- Small Community Dynamics
- Creating a Welcoming Community
- Community Stewardship
- Community Visioning: What’s Possible?
COST: It’s free! The program is brought to you through the Blue Cross Blue Shield – Healthy Connections grant.
PARTICIPATING COMMUNITIES: Sleepy Eye, Springfield, New Ulm, and other communities in the Brown county. Interpreters available, on request.
LOCATION: Sleepy Eye Event Center 110 12th Ave NE, Sleepy Eye, MN 56085
MEETING SCHEDULE: 5:30 – 9:00 p.m. 2nd or 4th Thursday of the month. (2nd Thursday alternate date in case of inclement weather). Cancellation – mirror school closings.
- Thursday, February 27
- Thursday, March 12 or 26
- Thursday, April 9 or 23
- Thursday, May 14 or 28 (summer break/community project)
- Thursday, September 10 or 24
WHO CAN APPLY?
- Individuals may submit an application form for themselves or someone else
- Applicants should be residents or employees of Brown County
- A limited seating for each community group – there will be a waiting listing
- Participants will be expected to attend all sessions. Assignments outside of class sessions may be required
- Participants must be motivated and committed to serve the community
- Participants are committed to participating in and/or leading further equity and inclusion efforts in their local community upon completion of eight sessions
APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 17, 2020
SUBMIT APPLICATIONS TO:
In person: Local Chamber of Commerce office in New Ulm, Sleepy Eye, and Springfield
By email: email@example.com (Subject: WC Application)