POSITION TITLE: Communications Specialist
STATUS: Full Time, Non-Exempt
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
To be a true partner for progress for south central Minnesota, Region Nine Development Commission must strategically foster open, two-way communication between its citizens, partners and stakeholders. Reporting directly to the executive director, the communication specialist is responsible for the overall brand management, communications strategy, and organizational document review for Region Nine. The communications specialist must be creative and enjoy working in a small, entrepreneurial environment that is results-driven and community-oriented. The ideal individual will have the ability to exercise good judgement in a variety of situations, possess strong written and verbal communication, and the fortitude to manage workload and meet tight deadlines.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Manages the organization’s overall brand through the communications plan and style guide.
- Leads the plain language initiative for the organization to make public facing documents easier for the public to read, understand, and use.
- Administrator for the organization’s social media channels including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and Constant Contact.
- Develops and sends the monthly electronic newsletter for Region Nine.
- Creates and manages content for Region Nine’s printed ads, radio scripts, website copy, letters, presentations, and social media.
- Designs organizational publications, such as the annual report, through content creation, layout and graphic design.
- Develops press releases and media advisories as well as fosters relationships with local and state media.
- Electronically monitors news reports for relevant information for the organization and media mentions using tools such as Google Alerts.
- Develops messaging for Region Nine commissioners, staff, and strategic partners.
- Assists in the development of innovative engagement opportunities for citizens, partners and stakeholders such as public input meetings.
- Utilization of proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability.
- Highly resourceful team-player, with the ability to also be extremely effective independently.
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of customer service and response.
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Forward-thinker, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions.
- Degree in communication studies, business marketing, public relations, or related field. Relevant experience may be substituted for education.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Extensive social media experience in Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
- Experience using WordPress for website maintenance.
- Expert level written and verbal communication skills, as well as creative writing ability to make content interesting, such as grant funding announcements.
- Expert level proof reading skills for grammatical errors and overall understanding.
- Experience and interest in internal and external communications, partnership development, and event planning.
Employee benefits include health insurance, health savings account with employer contributions, pre-tax flexible spending account, life insurance, PERA retirement benefit, paid holidays and vacation time, sick leave and additional voluntary benefits available.
- $35,805 to $54,695 yearly
- Class C41-C43
- Depending on qualifications
- Utilizes the Decision Band Method
How to Apply:
- Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Preference will be given to applications submitted by Friday, June 15, 2018 at 4:30 p.m.
- Cover letter, resume and application should be submitted online. Please contact Peter Bode at 507-389-8864 with questions.
- Resumes will not be accepted without a cover letter and completed application.
- Posting will remain open until position is filled.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The employee will perform additional reasonably-related job duties as assigned by the executive director.
Region Nine Development Commission reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Region Nine Development Commission is an EOE/ADA Employer.