POSITION TITLE: Communications Specialist
STATUS: Full Time, Non-Exempt
To be a true partner for progress for South Central Minnesota, Region Nine Development Commission must strategically foster open, two-way communication between its citizens, partners and stakeholders. Reporting directly to the executive director, the communication specialist is responsible for the overall brand management, communications strategy, and organizational document review for Region Nine. The communications specialist must be creative and enjoy working in a small, entrepreneurial environment that is results-driven and community-oriented. The ideal individual will have the ability to exercise good judgement in a variety of situations, possess strong written and verbal communication, and the fortitude to manage workload and meet tight deadlines.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Maintains the organization’s overall brand through the communications plan and style guide.
- Utilizes the plain language initiative and ADA compliance for the organization to make public facing documents easier for the public to read, understand, and use.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with community partners across the region.
- Oversees community engagement activities, initiatives, and events.
- Organizes and facilitate community engagement activities.
- Develops messaging for commissioners, staff, and strategic partners.
- Designs marketing collateral (printed ads, radio scripts, website copy, letters, presentations, social media, etc.)
- Designs organizational publications, such as the annual report, through content creation, layout, and graphic design.
- Develops press releases, media advisories, and statements as well as fosters relationships with local and state media.
- Assists with survey development and data collection via Survey Monkey, etc.
- Assists with content creation for the monthly electronic newsletter via Constant Contact and social media channels.
- Assists with the management of the website via WordPress.
- Monitors the organization’s social media channels including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
- Monitors news reports for relevant information for the organization and media mentions using tools such as Google Alerts, etc.
- Utilization of proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability.
- Highly resourceful team-player, with the ability to also be extremely effective independently.
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of customer service and response.
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Forward-thinker, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions.
- Degree in communication studies, business marketing, public relations, or related field. Relevant experience may be substituted for education.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign and Photoshop), and Canva.
- Experience with graphic design developing overall layout and design of documents, brochures, advertisements, etc.
- Social media experience using Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter as well as third party software such as Hootsuite.
- Experience using WordPress for website maintenance.
- Expert level written and verbal communication skills, as well as creative writing ability to make content interesting, such as grant funding announcements.
- Expert level proofreading skills for grammatical errors and overall understanding.
- Experience in internal and external communications, partnership development, facilitation, and event planning.
Employee benefits include health insurance, health savings account with employer contributions, pre-tax flexible spending account, life insurance, PERA retirement benefit, paid holidays and vacation time, sick leave and additional voluntary benefits available.
Region Nine offers a family friendly, hybrid work environment. Employees can choose when they will work from home, remotely, or in-office. Flexibility in working hours is also allowed. Changes to schedule must be confirmed with a supervisor and be clearly communicated to all staff via calendar sharing.
$45,000 to $55,000 annually
How to Apply:
- Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Preference will be given to applications submitted by January 7, 2022, at 4:30 p.m.
- Cover letter, resume, writing/design sample, and online application are required to be considered.
- Please contact Heather Bartelt at 507-387-5643 with questions.
- Posting will remain open until the position is filled.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The employee will perform additional reasonably-related job duties as assigned by the executive director.
Region Nine Development Commission reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Region Nine Development Commission is an EOE/ADA Employer.