POSITION TITLE: Associate Planner
STATUS: Full-Time, Exempt / Part-Time position will be considered to meet potential employee’s needs
DESCRIPTION OF WORK
Region Nine Development Commission is seeking a full-time Associate Planner to support economic development planning in our nine counties. The position will report to the Community Development Director/Economic Development Director and compensation is based on applicable experience. A part-time position will be considered to meet a potential employee’s needs.
The Associate Planner performs technical and professional regional planning work as a generalist to support the RNDC team with the development and implementation of programs and projects of importance to the region. Projects will be in the areas of community development, economic development, climate resiliency, food systems, transportation and identifying new opportunities for the region.
The Associate Planner will assist in providing technical assistance to local units of government, businesses, and the general public on a variety of planning related topics. Work entails contact with public officials, the general public, clients, and partners.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION
- Provide project support to planners by gathering and conducting data research, coordinating meetings, and general project management.
- Provide aid to write reports, working papers or sections of reports as required based on scope of the program or project.
- Assists in development of Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (CEDS) updates.
- Assists in the implementation and in tracking the progression of the goals identified in the current CEDS document.
- Assist with community facilitation in determining needs and priorities and assists in obtaining funding to meet those needs.
- Assist in developing recommendations that provide guidance for establishing effective and feasible solutions to be implemented
- Assist in project development efforts under the guidance of directors and planners.
- Assist with planning and scheduling of special events and gatherings.
- Provide staff support to project and advisory committees, subcommittees and special groups as appropriate
- Present information and study findings to committees, subcommittees and/or official boards for review.
- Participate in RNDC Board and Commission meetings, staff meetings, agency strategy efforts and training sessions when appropriate
- Performs other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing and follow the Plain Language Initiative that RNDC has adopted.
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, follow up on assignments, prioritize multiple simultaneous work assignments, and meet critical deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work effectively with a broad range of people and styles.
- Ability to develop relationships with key partners, both internal and external.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, other agencies and private businesses.
- Knowledge of personal computers and software, including the Microsoft Office suite.
- Ability to organize and co-facilitate meetings.
- Ability to maintain and safeguard confidential data in accordance with appropriate state and federal regulations.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle
An Associate Degree in Agribusiness, Business Management, Communications, Economics, Office Administration, or another closely related field. Applicants with relevant and successful experience will also be considered in the absence of a degree. Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and be available to work in RNDC service area. Position occasionally may require working outside the normal business day (evening meetings, some travel).
WORKING CONDITIONS AND ENVIRONMENT
RNDC is a small office of approximately 10 professional staff in a flexible working environment.
The individual must be able to perform reliable work in both independent and team project settings, mainly using a computer to complete projects. Typical hours are 8:00-4:30 p.m. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee regularly remains in a stationary position at a desk. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee may regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
- $45,000 – $55,000 yr. Depending on qualifications.
HOW TO APPLY
- Applications will be accepted until the position is filled
- Click the “Apply Now” button below to complete an online application
- Submit a resume and cover letter, addressed to Executive Director Nicole Griensewic, 3 Civic Center Plaza, Suite 310, Mankato, MN. Resumes will not be accepted without a cover letter and completed online application.
- Please contact Nate at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The employee will perform additional reasonably-related job duties as assigned by the executive director.
Region Nine Development Commission reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Region Nine Development Commission is an EOE/ADA Employer.